8 cities to find the best street art in the world
Share This Article:
Walking tours to see graffiti and large-scale murals don’t just have to be something to do with a few spare hours in a city, but a very valid reason to go there in the first place. From spotting famous Banksys to the work by Jeff Siti and Edgar Saner, street art tourism is big right now. We’ve gathered our favourite cities around the world to find the best of it.
1. LisbonArtists from all over the world come to the Portuguese capital to create cutting-edge street art and the volume of it is really noticeable. It’s everywhere – covering buildings, boards that are being erected, even the trams (an iconic feature of the city) are covered in graffiti. To learn about the history and context, the Lisbon Street Art Tour is a good start. In 2010 the Crono Project invited international artists to collaborate with Portuguese artists and the works can be found on Avenida Fontes Pereira de Melo in the north of Lisbon.
2. New YorkThe Big Apple has always been famous for aerosol artists and the street art comes and goes in the fast-paced cultural hub. It’s worth visiting the 100 Gates Project in the lower east side of Manhattan. Its aim was to turn the neighbourhood into an open-air gallery that would come alive at night once businesses had closed their shutters and gates.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- 5 travel books to get you inspired for summer
- Eight upcoming music festivals in Austin, Texas: the live music capital of the world
- Madrid's zebra crossings will be inscribed with local poetry