Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Tuesday 25 June 2019
182,535 SUBSCRIBERS

LSE rename three buildings after famous suffragettes

RATE THIS ARTICLE

Share This Article:

The London School of Economics (LSE) has renamed three of its buildings after famous suffragettes to celebrate 100 years since women won the right to vote.

The three buildings have been named Pankhurst House, Fawcett House and Pethick-Lawrence House.

They were officially renamed in a ceremony on November 23, with the Countess of Wessex in attendance to unveil the plaque.

Alongside the Countess was Caroline Criado Perez, a former LSE student and feminist campaigner, and Dr. Helen Pankhurst, the great-granddaughter of Emmeline Pankhurst.

At the renaming ceremony it was highlighted how the buildings are named after famous female suffrage activists who "all have connections to the area."

The buildings, which were previously known collectively as “The Towers”, stand on the site of  the London headquarters of the Women Social and Political Union, which were founded by Emmeline Pankhurst and supported by Emmeline Pethick-Lawrence.

Photo: Maltzene, Chigago (1913) retrieved from the Library of Congress via Wikimedia Commons 

The Women's Library at LSE holds the largest suffrage collection in the UK, including the papers of Millicent Garett Fawcett and the Fawcett Society, alongside a range of documents and pamphlets relating to the historical struggles in the fight for women to gain the right to vote.

 

 




© 2019 TheNationalStudent.com is a website of BigChoice Group Limited | 201 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JA | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974