Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Saturday 20 July 2019
182,543 SUBSCRIBERS

Student wakes up with scorpian inches from face - in Aberdeen

27th June 2013
RATE THIS ARTICLE

Share This Article:

Zoology student Vicky Raitt woke up to an unexpected guest sitting just inches away from her face - a tropical scorpion.

The strange thing was, that the incident happened in her student halls - in Aberdeen. 

A tropical creature like this clearly didn’t originate from the Scottish city, which is better known for its owls - so the question is, where did it come from?

Vicky believes it climbed into her bag on her way back from a trip to Borneo.

She said: "I jumped out of bed and, after doing a double take to make sure I hadn’t imagined it, I ran to the kitchen to get a plastic tub to put it in. I’d been back for five days before I found the scorpion so it must have been living with me all that time."

However the Scottish public can sleep rest assured - the scorpion is now in the safe care of the Scottish SPCA’s Aberdeenshire rescue centre in Drumoak.

Asian Forest Scorpions are not deadly but a lethal sting can cause intense inflammation and sickness.

"Once I got over the initial shock of finding it I was okay," Vicky added. "But it’s still quite scary to think what could have happened if I hadn’t woke up and it had stung me."




CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH
© 2019 TheNationalStudent.com is a website of BigChoice Group Limited | 201 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JA | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974