Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Wednesday 26 June 2019

ConIFA WFC: Tibet 1-1 United Koreans In Japan (1-4 on pens) @ St. Paul's Sports Ground, Rotherhithe


Share This Article:

Sangye Gyatso's fine goalkeeping performance was not enough to prevent Tibet from following to defeat as United Koreans in Japan eventually won on penalties. 

Indeed United Koreans were on top for much of the match but lacked composure in front of goal. Left-back Yoo Jun Kang who had a wonderful game, being strong and determined in defence and direct and forceful in attack, and one of his many marauding runs saw him fire into the side netting.

Yong Ju Shin made a wonderful turn on his marker but a fine last-ditch tackle from Tenzin Yougyal prevented the goal.

It was actually Tibet who then got the first goal of the game, the ball was played on the right side to Tenzin Dhondup who appeared to mis-control the ball but was able to reclaim to send into a cross which whizzed right past the UKJ defence, it appeared the ball was going safely out but Yougyal was on hand to fire home to give the Tibetans a shock lead. Minutes later, they also hit the post.

Good work by Yong, who like Yoo was causing problems with his wing-play found Song I Yun who missed from just a few yards after fine last-ditch defending. Song also headed over a cross from Tong Jun Lee before Yong cut inside on his left foot and curled just over.

The second half was to indeed to continue as one-way traffic. Gyatso would, however, make save after save, he spilled a Yong cross but without a UKJ player in the close vicinity, he was able to smother the ball. This was the only thing he would do wrong all game.

Gyatso would hose down a shot from Yong and perform a fine save of Gwang Yeon Choi. Tibet were more or less pinned in their own half all game with several dangerous corners from UKJ causing problems. United Koreans were strong, composed and did everything right. 

Like previous games in this tournament, United Koreans were missing a striker of real quality and when Tong failed to connect with a cross it looked like Tibet could cause an upset. However, a downwards header from Gwang was turned into his net by Gelek, just six minutes from time.

Gwang would nearly score a winner with an overhead kick landing on the roof of the net before he headed just over. The match as such went straight to penalties as a result. United Koreans of Japan scored their first three, with the Tibetans only firing in the first. Kalsang Topygal got the only goal and celebrated by ripping his shirt off and was promptly yellow carded.

As a result, it was up to Tong's younger brother Suong Lee to score the winning penalty, which he did.

United Koreans thus finish their tournament in 11th whilst the Tibetans finish their debut in 12th, both teams were clapped by their fans and applauding one another.

© 2019 is a website of BigChoice Group Limited | 201 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JA | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974