Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Monday 22 July 2019

ConIFA WFC: Barawa 2-0 Ellan Vannin @ Coles Park, Haringey


Share This Article:

Barawa became the first side in ConIFA WFC to beat Ellan Vannin in 90 minutes to book their spot in the quarter-finals and dump the Isle of Man side out of the tournament. 

Coming into the game on the back of two wins, Ellan Vannin needed a point to secure top spot and would have qualified if they had avoided a seven-goal swing. 

Indeed, Ellan Vannin looked sharp at the beginning and in the opening stages had two decent chances when Frank Jones nipped and crossed to Michael Williams, who failed to get a decent connection on the ball. A clever low free-kick from Jack McVey was just wide as Ellan Vannin dominated both play and chances.

Despite that the pace of right-winger Shaquille Ismail and the left-winger Gianni Chrichlow made Barawa look constantly dangerous. The duo exploited the larger pitch at Coles Park and when the former switched the ball to the later, Mo Bettamer had a decent chance but fired his effort straight at Daniel Kearns.

A clever header from Manx midfielder Daniel Bell played in Jones but the captain shot was saved low by Calvin King in the Barawa goal. 

Chrichlow then cut inside and curled a shot someway other but it was a clear warning of what the team could do. 

More destructive wing-play saw the ball find Bettamer around 20 yards at in the centre of the pitch, he rifled in a low effort into the bottom left-hand corner to give Barawa a lead, that whilst against the run of play, they had always threatened to take. 

Bettamer would end the half by making a surging run before firing the ball just wide as Barawa began to exert themselves more.

In the second half and Wealdstone winger Ismail, having swapped wings with Chrichlow, fired just over while Bettamer was a good connection away from a second.

Williams went close with a header though as Ellan Vannin hunted for an equaliser.  

Barawa's no. 12 then received a green card after being found offside and still shooting much to the confusion of his teammates and his fans, resulting in a mandatory substitution. 

Staines forward Bettamer then weaved himself through several defenders and forced Kearns into a top save but Ismail was also able to bundle home for 2-0. 

Ryan Burns of Ellan Vannin and Corinthians AFC received a green card after pushing over a Barawa defender whilst attempting to get the ball back for a quick restart. 

Barawa looked calmed and composed from there on, whilst Ellan Vannin's pressure was not rewarded with a goal, lacking composure from there on.

Sean Doyle who forced a smart from King, but Kearns had to make a stunning save to deny a third goal. Simpson was unable to get any conviction when clean through for Ellan Vannin but despite appearing to receive a push from his marker did not win a penalty. 

As Cascadia put in a fifth goal to achieve the seven-goal swing, the Ellan Vannin bench and players got increasingly agitated, St. Georges man Jones won the ball and made a smart turn but fired a long range drive wide while Sam Caine had to make a goal-saving tackle on Chichlow.

Cascadia got a sixth and there were to be no major chances in the rest of the game, meaning Barawa will face Northern Cyprus in Sutton for a quarter-final while Ellan Vannin will face Tibet in Bromley for the first placement round. 

In the end, Barawa deserved a win though perhaps 2-0 was harsh on their opponents, though they never look likes scoring in the second half lacking composure. 

© 2019 is a website of BigChoice Group Limited | 201 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JA | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974