Kinnear goes radio ga ga
Share This Article:
Newly appointed Newcastle Director of Football Joe Kinnear failed miserably when pronouncing the names of some of the club’s key players. In an interview with TalkSport, Kinnear struggled to pronounce the names of Newcastle players Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Shola Ameobi. Instead, when discussing the Newcastle squad, he spoke of, ‘Yohan Kebab’, ‘Hatem Ben Afri’ and ‘Shola Amenobee’. As well as this, he went on to erroneously claim that he was responsible for signing Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul and James Perch, both of whom were signed by different managers. His performance is unlikely to go down well with the fans, who are already disgruntled with his appointment. In response to this criticism Kinnear ended the interview by asserting that he ‘certainly had more intelligence than them’. The bizarre interview has been a PR disaster for Newcastle Football Club as well as a shot to Kinnear’s credibility. A quick Google search reveals that football managers have a history of putting their foot in their mouths:
- ‘ No, no I’m not a wheeler and dealer, no f**k off‘ – Harry Redknapp did not approve of Sky Sport’s Rob Palmer labelling him a wheeler-dealer.
- ‘We didn’t underestimate them, they were just a lot better than we expected’ - Bobby Robson after England struggled to a 3-2 win over Cameroon at the World Cup in 1990.
- ‘If we play like that every week we’ll get some level of consistency’ – Alex Ferguson giving a glimpse into the mind that won 13 Premier League titles.
- ‘We must have had 99% of the game. It was the other 3% that cost us the match' - Ruud Gullitt struggling with basic maths.
- ‘Sometimes you just want Obertan to open his legs and do something exciting’ – Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is obviously frustrated by his player’s performance.