What the media should be in the dock for
Share This Article:
As we know, the media (mainly Rupert Murdoch’s media) is under enquiry for numerous misdemeanours. While it is delightful for Murdoch, described aptly by Alexander Cockburn as a ‘world scale monster’ to be told he is unfit to run his goliath of a company it does pose the question: what else should the media be under enquiry for? What the media should be in the dock for, as well as for the hacking of people’s phones, is their shocking reporting on the ongoing wars of the 21st century. I’m not just talking about Murdoch outlets here, whether they be The Sun, which ran with the headline ’45 MINUTES FROM DOOM’ when the notorious ‘dodgy dossier’ on Iraq was released in September 2002. Or the ring wing jingoistic Fox News, where studies show that 48% of their viewers thought that a connection had been established between Al Qaeda and Iraq and 22% believed that WMD’s HAD been found.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- In Yemen, Britain is complicit in the very crimes for which we castigate Assad
- Record number of women elected to parliament on anniversary of Emily Davison's death
- Stop telling musicians to 'stick to the music'