Share This Article:
The Daily Mail reported on 11th March that students from Manchester University had drunk ‘lethal’ and ‘dangerous’ amounts of alcohol in a perilous drinking game that only ended when someone was sick or went to hospital. The paper reported on how the internet was ‘flooded’ with videos of such behaviour, portraying students as only one thing: idiots. This article is a clear indication of how students are viewed by the right wing media. This area of the press portrays students as beer-glugging imbeciles who spend their lives in bed leeching upon the country’s taxes. Calling students ‘suicidal idiots’ for playing a drinking game, unfairly represents those people who are the next generation of this country who are going to have to end up working much harder than the previous generation. Minimum attention was paid to students when they protested the raising of tuition fees by the right wing press, whereas the photograph of the boy swinging on the cenotaph flag seemed to make all the front pages.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- What's Worse for the Future of Students' Safe Sex - the STI 'Superbug' or a Catholic Education?
- Is the Government Privatising the NHS?
- SOAS in (predictable) hysterics over an invitation to Israel’s ambassador