Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Monday 28 November 2022
182,619 SUBSCRIBERS

Police evacuate students in Manchester as 'suspicious' car is identified

RATE THIS ARTICLE

Share This Article:

Greater Manchester police are carrying out an evacuation in Rusholme after they located a ‘suspicious’ car which they believe may be significant to the investigation into last month’s suicide bombing.

Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson said:

“This is potentially a significant development in the investigation. The car is a white Nissan Micra that has been located at Devell House, not far from Banff Road.

“We are very interested in anything people can tell us about the movements of this car, and who was in it, over the past months. We are also interested in any information about who may have had access to the car or who may have gone to and from it.”

An initial 100-metre cordon was put up around Devell House, this has now been widened and covers a large part of Oxford Road.

The Manchester Royal Infirmary and other hospitals in the area will be open as normal, but people are being evacuated from Ronald McDonald House - accommodation for families of children being treated in nearby hospitals - as a precaution.

Earlier today Prince William visited Manchester Royal Infirmary and met some of the children who were injured in the attack. A video posted on Twitter by Julian Druker of ITN shows just how close the hospital Prince William visted is to the evacuated Ronald Mcdonald House:

Students have been evacuated from halls of residence in the corden, with affected halls including Wilmslow Park House and Rusholme Place. A spokesperson for the University of Manchester has said students are able to go to Owens Park accommodation in Fallowfield, with buses currently taking evacuated students there now.

The Manchester Evening News has quoted a source as saying the car may be "booby trapped" as "it appears some bomb-making materials are yet to be recovered". According to the source, once the evacuation is complete the bomb squad will move in to take a closer look at the vehicle.

The terror attack at the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena on May 22nd killed 22 people and injured over 100. Many of those who died or injured were children; the youngest was 8 years old. On Monday the first funeral of one of the victims, 14-year-old Eilidh MacLeod, will take place, Police Scotland have confirmed. 

It's not known how long the police corden in Rusholme will be in place, or when people will be allowed back to their homes. For updates people are advised to follow Greater Manchester police on Twitter.




CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH
Ranking:
Articles: 29
Reads: 192030
© 2022 TheNationalStudent.com is a website of Studee Limited | 15 The Woolmarket, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 2PR, UK | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974