Labour ban Simon Danczuk from standing as a Labour candidate in General Election
Share This Article:
A party spokesperson has confirmed Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk will not be allowed to stand as a Labour candidate in the upcoming election. In a statement released on Monday, Labour said: “After considering the case of Simon Danczuk in detail and speaking to him in an interview, the Labour Party’s NEC endorsement Panel today unanimously recommended that he should not be endorsed as a Labour candidate. He will not be able to stand as a Labour candidate in any constituency at the General Election.” Mr Danczuk was first elected to the Rochdale seat in 2010, however, he has been representing his constituents as an independent MP since his suspension in 2015 following a sexting scandal which involved a teenage girl. Last month Mr Danczuk made it known that he wants to stand for Labour in the election, rather than continuing as an independent MP. In 2015 he increased his majority from 889 to 12,442 - the largest in the constituency history. He highlighted this as a factor that gave him a huge mandate for representing the town, and therfore a reason why he should stand as a Labour candidate. On official website, he said: "I am a life-long trade unionist and Labour member, and I have devoted my life to fighting for Labour values. I believe my strong track record of fighting for Rochdale proves that I am the best placed person to fight this election for the Labour Party. I've fought and won two General Elections for Labour, and I expect to fight the next as a Labour candidate." The Manchester Evening News has reported that Katy Clark is potentially being lined up to represent Rochdale for Labour, which could lead to a split in Labour votes between Clark and Danczuk. Despite being banned from standing as a Labour candidate it's belived that Mr Danczuk has not been expelled from the party.