Black Lives Matter runway protest disrupts London City Airport
Share This Article:
Protesters have stormed the runway at London City Airport, grounding flights indefinitely. Activists in support of Black Lives Matter made their way airside around 5.40am at the central London airport. It is the latest demonstration involving anti-racism activists, who brought traffic to a standstill outside Heathrow Airport – and carried out similar protests in cities around the country – in a co-ordinated day of action last month. The campaigners, whose international movement was set up following the murder of black teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida four years ago, said Tuesday’s action was taken “in order to highlight the UK’s environmental impact on the lives of black people locally and globally”. The group called environmental inequality a “racist crisis” which disproportionately affects black people both in sub-Saharan Africa and the UK.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- The King of Norway's speech on love and acceptance is exactly what the world needs
- No public vote on gay marriage in Australia, say politicians
- 'I won't be silent': Read Serena Williams' heartfelt comments on police shootings