EP Review: Gabrielle Aplin - Avalon
Share This Article:
With every release, British singer/songwriter Gabrielle Aplin's style seems to shift ever so slightly. While her debut album was predominantly folk, her second incorporated heavier drum beats and electric guitar, giving it a rockier feel. Her new EP released today, Avalon, is her biggest departure so far from the delicate folk that she found her fame through and into the world of synth pop. Reinvention of style seems to be a popular move in the music industry at the moment. Unfortunately, it does not always work so well. Avalon boasts a more polished production than her previous releases, but the actual songs no longer even recognise her folk roots, or let the insane songwriting skills she's capable of shine through - they feel lost in production.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Live Review: Honeyblood & LUCIA @ Summerhall, Edinburgh, 03/06/19
- Album Review: Dinosaur Pile-Up - Celebrity Mansions
- Fresher Sounds - The best new music - 04/06/19
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH