2013: An epic year for the MOBO Awards
Share This Article:
This year is set to be the MOBO Awards’ most exciting yet – on Saturday 19th October, at the SSE HYDRO in host city Glasgow, the awards will celebrate their 18th birthday!
Inspirational MOBO founder and CEO, Kanya King MBE, will be joined by star performers, past and present, including chart topping girl group Stooshe and the legendary music maker, Jazzie B of Soul II Soul who won an award at the first ever show in 1996.
Reflecting on 18 years of incredible MOBO memories Jazzie B says: “Thank you MOBO for Soul II Soul's first ever UK award way back in ’96! We had been in the UK industry for a while before we were awarded for Soul II Soul’s achievements and MOBO was the one that recognised this. It was an iconic moment for Soul II Soul.”
Stooshe also paid tribute to the MOBO Awards and commented: “It’s such an honour to be celebrating 18 years of MOBO Awards success. Our appearance at the show last year was truly instrumental in building our profile and music careers and we are really looking forward to this year’s anniversary event at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow. It’s gonna be an amazing celebration!”
Looking ahead, there’s a lot to talk about:
- Chart toppers Rudimental and the dynamic Iggy Azalea are the first names announced to perform at this year’s ceremony, which has seen the world’s biggest urban music names over the years and offered a first stage to many UK artists including the likes of Rita Ora and Emeli Sandé
- MOBO Awards 2013 will make its debut at the hotly anticipated new entertainment venue, the SSE Hydro in Glasgow
- Together with its official partner HTC, as part of the 18th anniversary celebrations, the MOBO Organisation will soon be launching competitions with ‘money can’t buy’ experiences for lucky fans to win throughout the countr
- The MOBO Awards will be doing various things to ‘honour the past and inspire the future’ with a host of initiatives in the run-up and during the show
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Fresher Sounds – The best new music – 13/08/19
- Album Review: Ra Ra Riot - Superbloom
- Interview: City Calm Down
Kanya King said: “MOBO turning 18 is a huge achievement and a special time for us. Starting an awards’ ceremony which has changed the industry, helped represent a diverse range of music that’s at the heartbeat of youth culture and given a platform to emerging talent which has then gone on to achieve global and commercial success, is something to be proud of and we will continue to build a positive legacy that can be enjoyed by various generations. We are ecstatic to be coming back to Glasgow for the third time and are working flat out on making our 18th anniversary show a truly unforgettable one. Get ready for one of the biggest nights of 2013.”
Tickets for the MOBO Awards, varying from £25 to £49, are on sale now at www.mobo.com