How to nail your interview
1st October 2013
Share This Article:
Well done, you have got through the application process, passed the online tests and have beaten numerous other students in securing an interview. This may be on the phone or face to face. You now need to pass the interview in order to move onto the next part of the recruitment process. So can you prepare? Can you improve your chances? The answer to these questions is a resounding YES. Most student interviews are competency based which means they will test you on a series of competencies that the firm sees as being relevant and important to the job for which you are applying. You need to identify the possible competencies before you interview. Key competencies could include leadership, teamwork, communication, drive, influencing, organisation, problem solving, flexibility, resilience and creativity. The next step is to prepare answers to all the possible competency questions you may get and learn them, so that you have lots of possible options to draw from in the interview. This will also make you come across as more confident. You need to ensure that you prepare different examples from a range of your own personal experiences. These can be drawn from your academic studies, school activities, sport, music, drama, young enterprise, volunteering, work experience, duke of Edinburgh etc. In fact anything that you have done or been involved with that may provide an example of the competency in question. Example questions may be:
- Give an example when you have worked under pressure?
- Provide an example of when you have worked effectively as part of a team?
- Describe a time when you have had to deal with a difficult situation
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Meet the multi-hyphenate millennial helping you to find a job that works for you
- Imposter syndrome: what it is and how to deal with it
- Sian Bradley on being open about self-harm
- “Tell me about yourself?”
- “What are your strengths and weaknesses?”
- “Why do you want to work for us?”