Recipe: Venison Burger with Blue Cheese and Crispy Shallots
Share This Article:
Forget your box-standard beef… today’s recipe is taking the humble burger to a whole new level. Makes: 4 burgers Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 5 minutes You’ll need: 650g venison mince 5 tbsp double cream 2 cloves garlic, crushed ½ tbsp flat leaved parsley, chopped ½ tbsp chopped chives 4 crushed juniper berries Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper 200g blue cheese 16 shallots Olive oil for frying Method:
- Place the mince in a bowl. Season well. Using your hands or a fork, gently combine the seasoned meat with the cream, garlic, parsley, chives and juniper berries. Do not over mix, as the cooked burgers will be tough.
- Gently shape the meat into 4 patties, or divide the meat and push each portion into a 10cm pastry cutter to make 4 burgers. Make a slight indentation in the top of each with your fingers.
- Divide the cheese into 4 and shape each piece into a ball. Insert the cheese into the centre of the burgers and pull the meat back over the top to seal in the cheese.
- Peel and thinly cut the shallots into rings. Heat the olive oil in a pan, and fry the shallots until crispy.
- Preheat a heavy ridged griddle pan or barbeque until very hot. If using a pan, put in a little olive oil, and sear the burgers to seal in the juices. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, so that the cheese melts in the middle.
- Serve the burger on lightly toasted rolls, topped with the shallots, along with slices of tomatoes, red onion and pickled gherkin or with a green salad.
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH