Recipe: Saffron Braised Chicken with Peas, Almonds and Garlic
Share This Article:
Celery creates a great base flavour for lots of different of casserole recipes, and is especially good when cooked down with shallots and garlic in this tasty summer dish. Serves: 4 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes You’ll need: 3 tbsp olive oil 4 free-range chicken legs, cut in half 4 shallots, chopped 2 sticks of celery, chopped 4 cloves of garlic, sliced 1 tbsp flour 200ml dry sherry A pinch of saffron 1 pint chicken stock 2 bay leaves Salt and pepper 150g shelled fresh peas (approx. 500g unshelled) Small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped 100g toasted almonds, roughly chopped What to do:
- In a large flameproof casserole pan, fry the chicken in the olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides or until golden, then remove and set aside.
- Next add the shallots, celery and garlic, cook until translucent and lightly golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, sherry, saffron and stock, stirring all the time until the sauce comes back to the boil. Add the bay leaves and then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back into the casserole pan. Place on the lid and cook on a low heat for ½ an hour or until the chicken is starting to fall away from the bone.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, add the peas and cook for a couple of minutes, turn off the heat and add the parsley.
- Divide between 4 warm bowls and sprinkle with the almonds