Recipe: Antipasti of vegetarian Parmesan & battered Tenderstem broccoli with salsa rossa
Share This Article:
A vegetarian antipasti that makes a perfect precursor to any meal. Serves: 2 Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes You’ll need: Salsa rossa 1 red pepper 110g tinned plum tomatoes drained 2 tbsp olive oil 1 garlic clove peeled and finely chopped 1 fresh red chilli seeded and finely chopped Small bunch of basil shredded Salt and cracked black pepper Vegetable oil for deep-frying Batter 1 free-range egg 100ml double cream 40g finely grated Vegetarian Parmesan style cheese Salt and cracked black pepper Plus... 200g Tenderstem broccoli Flour for dusting What to do:
- Grill the pepper whole on all sides until the skin is blackened; leave to cool for about 5 minutes.
- With a knife, cut the pepper in half and half again.
- Remove the seeds from the pepper and scrape away the blackened skin, chop finely and set aside.
- Chop the tomatoes finely and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the garlic and chilli. Cook for 3 minutes over a low heat until garlic starts to colour.
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
- Half fill a medium sized pan with vegetable oil and place on a low heat.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg, cream and Parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Dust the Tenderstem in the flour and coat in the batter mix.
- To test the temperature of the oil, put a drop of the batter mix into the oil. If the batter colours too quickly, turn down the heat. Fry the Tenderstem a little at a time so that the oil stays hot.
- Once the Tenderstem is cooked, about 2 minutes, drain on kitchen paper and serve with the salsa rossa.
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH