Director Sofia Coppola hopes girl power will beguile Hollywood
Share This Article:
Sofia Coppola has said she hopes her latest film with its strong female presence will convince Hollywood to produce more women-led movies. Coppola was speaking on Monday at the Los Angeles premiere of The Beguiled, which won her best director at Cannes, making her the first woman to win the accolade for more than 50 years. The US Civil War drama set in a girls’ school stars Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst and Elle Fanning, who take in a soldier, played by Colin Farrell. The Lost In Translation director told the Press Association: “What I liked about the story was that it’s about a group of women at a girl’s school in the South and we’ve got characters from 12 to 40. “So it was nice to have a group of women of so many different ages all together. “It’s great that Wonder Woman is a hit and hopefully if this does well there will be more.”
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Universities must do more to tackle the BAME attainment gap, report says
- This Week in Gaming: Sony and Microsoft team up
- Interview with Gina Martin: the journey of a working-class gal turned activist