In order to be successful, one must project an image of success: The veil of the American dream in American Beauty
6th May 2014
Share This Article:
The narrative of American Beauty represents what is under the surface of the American dream. It strips away the falsities by delving deeper and heading behind the closed doors of those white-picket-fenced suburban American homes. For Kevin Spacey this role was one of his most important. At a point in his career where he felt slightly stagnant, when asked about the role of Lester Burnham on In the Actors Studio, Spacey said: ‘In a strange way Lester and I met at the right moment. I was ready for him.’
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Hollywood two years on from #MeToo: where can we go from here?
- 'A Girl from Mogadishu' director on the power of testimony
- Legendary actor Richard Dreyfuss and director Shelagh McLeod discuss Astronaut, humanity and space travel
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH
Top article: Fringe Review: Rust - The Musical @ theSpace