The biggest ever Oscar winners
Share This Article:
The most glamorous night in Hollywood is nearly upon us. Before we get to see who will have to put up a new shelf in their bathroom to show off their latest haul, we look at the biggest Oscar winners from years gone by. Traditionally, there is often one film that dominates award season. Last year the headlines were all about The Artist, which scooped a commendable five awards on Oscar night. However impressive that is, the highest number of Oscar wins for a single movie is over double that. Three movies in Oscar history have taken home a staggering 11 Academy Awards on the night. Ben Hur did it in 1960, Titanic in 1998 and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King in 2004. Impressively The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King won in every single category it was nominated in. Quite an achievement. However, three different films have won every award in the five major categories, which are best director, actress, actor, director and screenplay. The films that scooped the ‘big five’ are: It Happened One Night in 1934, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in 1975 and The Silence of the Lambs in 1991.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Too Old To Die Young review - Nicolas Winding Refn's cynical, gorgeous critique of modern America
- Legendary actor Richard Dreyfuss and director Shelagh McLeod discuss Astronaut, humanity and space travel
- 'A Girl from Mogadishu' director on the power of testimony