The Green Mile: A modern classic
Share This Article:
Best known for his portrayal of gentle giant John Coffey in The Green Mile, actor Michael Clarke Duncan has died at the age of 54. TNS looks back at the film and what made it so iconic. The news of the star’s sudden death comes as a shock to fellow actors and fans alike. He’s known for his roles in Armageddon, Planet of the Apes and of course, perhaps most famously, as death row inmate Coffey. Duncan took on the role in 1999, when director Frank Darabount chose to adapt Stephen King’s novel of the same name. This was Darabount’s second prison-centred movie, following The Shawshank Redemption, which he had directed five years earlier.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Trailer: Anna Paquin stars in melancholy drama 'Tell It To The Bees', set in a town too small for secrets
- Trailer: Aardman's mischievous sheep returns with an intergalactic friend in Farmageddon
- 'A Girl from Mogadishu' director on the power of testimony