Did the internet kill HMV and Blockbuster?
Share This Article:
Both Blockbuster and HMV announced that they were going into administration this week, causing much mourning for old school fans. The fall of HMV is set to significantly change the way our high streets look forever, wiping major music retailers off the scene following the closing of Virgin’s last stores in 2009. It marks a change in the consumer’s relationship with music: whilst our parents generation fondly remember their first record and we look back on the tapes and CDs we’ve hoarded over our formative years, this generation will think back to their first music download and their first mp3 player. Somehow, seeing a track fall into your iTunes isn’t the same as coming home with a physical copy in your hands.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Fresher Sounds - The best new music - 09/07/19
- Fresher Sounds - The best new music - 16/07/19
- Album Review: The Black Keys - Let's Rock