Was Jane Austen really all that subversive?
Share This Article:
“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.” – Jane Austen, Persuasion.
Image courtesy of Wikipedia CommonsJane Austen was born on the 16th of December 1775. She was best-known for her six novels; Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park and Emma were published before she died in 1817, whereas Northanger Abbey and Persuasion were published after her death. Her literary legacy continues to live on; she even features on the current £10 note.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Autism Awareness Month: 5 books with autistic characters
- Is To Kill A Mockingbird really the best book of all time?
- Books that changed my life, for International Children's Book day
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH