Sunday Book Review: We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
Share This Article:
We Are Okay by Nina LaCour is a beautiful exploration of grief and love and the moments in which innocence are lost.
The plotline is so simple and emotive. Marin grew up in California and, after a terrible loss, she moves to New York for college and cuts off all ties with people from her life before. Now, it’s winter break and her best friend, Mabel, is coming to visit her at school. Marin has to confront the life she left behind - her feelings of loneliness and the relationship with Mabel that had become more than that by the end of the summer. It’s told in present time, with flashbacks to what took place prior to the loss, and the combination of the two intertwined periods of time running in tangent with each other gives poignancy to the other.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Books to add to your post-exams TBR
- Meet Rose Wilkinson, the arts graduate creating mesmerising, historic illustrations
- Theatre Review: The Mindreading Experiments @ The Bread and Roses Theatre