Toledo: A medieval fortress in the heart of Spain
Share This Article:
Placed on top of a hill skirted by the Tajo river we find Toledo, a medieval city where, centuries ago, the Christian, Jewish and Muslim cultures clashed, leaving for us a truly magical place where to get lost and experience the magic. Visiting Toledo is like flying back in time to a medieval era, so much that you almost expect to run into a knight wearing an armour while walking around its enigmatic streets. Situated barely an hour away from Madrid, taking the bus to the medieval city feels like time travelling, a feeling that only gets reinforced when you go through the doors of the old wall to get into the city centre. And, once you’re there, it only gets better. Being placed on top of a hill, Toledo is all slopes and stone pavement. Nevertheless, tiring as it can get, just roaming around its streets is a magical experience. The city is packed with medieval shops and traditional taverns. If there is a place in Spain where you can buy a medieval sword or costume, that is Toledo.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- How to prepare for living and working abroad in Paris
- 48 hours in Hong Kong: panoramic city vistas, beach sunsets and delicious dim sum
- Colombo, Sri Lanka is revealed as the 'must-photograph' travel destination in social media study
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH