#InCrowd: Corbyn pleads for youth vote in EU referendum
Share This Article:
Labour's leadership election was a triumph of grass-roots democracy and public participation, politicising hundreds of thousands of new activists and drawing in supporters of all backgrounds from across the country. Most significantly, in the last year Labour's youth membership has more than trebled, reaching a fresh generation of activists hitherto alienated from democracy. Jeremy Corbyn is hoping that the EU referendum will continue to engage young voters and deepen their participation in democracy. Referring to the surge in young voters at a recent campaign outing, he said: “We have more Labour Party members under 27 than UKIP or the Lib Dems have in total membership.” To this end Corbyn launched a mass youth registration drive in Liverpool as part of the Labour IN campaign on Friday, a campaign which has since gone viral.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Resignations and rebellion as Theresa May unveils Brexit withdrawal agreement
- MPs need to come to a conclusion over Britain's nuclear future
- City University students to cover the US election live
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH