Wayne Rooney: mature or past it?
Share This Article:
A debate has been raging for some time now, arguably reaching its peak during the Euros, about what role Wayne Rooney is best suited to in his older years. As a young man he was prolific in front of goal for club and country, but the edge seems a little duller as he approaches his 31st birthday. Many, including most notably Sir Alex Ferguson, have suggested he would shine in a midfield role but having shifted into that role for both Manchester United and England, the spark still hasn’t been regained… Now, with Manchester United reeling in the wake of three hard defeats, is there a place for Rooney in the team? He remains a figurehead for the club as club captain and a recurring presence in the club's marketing and publicity; equally the goal scoring records he holds in international and club football speak in his favour. However his contribution on the pitch has been consistently brought into question of late. Is he simply ‘past it’?
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Altrincham FC ‘first in the world’ to wear LGBT kit in competitive fixture
- Millwall under investigation by FA after racist chants in FA Cup game against Everton
- Raheem Sterling meets young Newport player who suffered racial abuse
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH