Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Sunday 22 October 2017
245,264 SUBSCRIBERS

9 stories of how Manchester came together in the face of terror

RATE THIS ARTICLE

Share This Article:

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

- Fred Rogers

(Peter Byrne/PA)

When terrorist attacks happen, the one good thing to come out of them is people's solidarity. There are always scenes of people helping one another.

Monday evening's attack after an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena was no different. Here are some stories that will really help to restore your faith in humanity at a time like this.

1. The commendable efforts of the emergency services

Time after time emergency services rush to the scene of incidents, as everyone else is trying desperately to get away. These people are part of families too, yet they often push their own safety to the back of their minds in order to help others.

The below tweet shows a first responder comforting a little girl in the immediate aftermath. Tragically, the girl's mother is still missing. 

Manchester Terror Attack - Police Officer and Child

2. People brought food as emergency services worked through the night

People and businesses showed their gratitude towards the emergency services and helped them, by offering them food and drink.

Dominos pizzas were delivered to NHS workers in a hospital:

Dominos Pizzas Delivered NHS Manchester Attacks

A restaurant in the heart of Manchester was offering to feed the emergency services:

Smokehouse Cellar Manchester

Out on the streets, young men were seen handing out drinks to keep the emergency services and media hydrated:

Drinks Manchester Attacks

3. Two homeless men stayed to help, rather than fleeing

33-year-old Chris Parker cradled a woman in her 60s as she died and helped a girl with no legs after rushing to help.

Meanwhile, 35-year-old Stephen Jones instinctively hurried to the arena to help after hearing the explosion. He pulled nails out of children's arms and out of a little girl's face.

According to The Independent, Jones said the following: "If I didn't help, I wouldn't be able to live with myself for walking away and leaving kids like that. Just because I'm homeless it doesn't mean that I haven't got a heart and I'm not human still."

4. Taxi drivers gave lifts for free

With many stranded, taxi drivers turned off their meters and took people home to safety for free

5. Gurdwaras offered shelter

In another wonderful sign of solidarity, Sikhs offered food and shelter at their local Gurdwaras (temples). 

Gurdwara Manchester Attack

6. People offered others a safe place to stay

Using the hashtag #RoomsForManchester, many people offered their sofas or spare rooms to those who were stranded. Phone chargers were also offered to those who may be unable to contact friends and family regarding their whereabouts. 

RoomsForManchester

7. Many people donated blood

So many people went to donate blood on Tuesday morning after the attacks that there were huge queues. There were so many people, in fact, that the NHS didn't need everyone to donate as they already had enough.

Donate Blood Manchester Bomb

8. Tattoo shops are raising money for victims and their families

In the coming days, tattoo shops in Manchester are going to be raising money. They will be tattooing the Manchester emblem of the worker bee, with all proceeds going to the victims and their families.

Tattoo Manchester Bee

9. A footballer is donating £100,000 to victims

Finally, Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure and his agent are donating £100,000 to the victims of the attack and their families. 

Clearly, whilst there is evil in the world, it is outshined by an abundance of love and the helpers. These stories of homeless people, emergency services, business owners and people in the public eye all coming together to help are proof of that. 

read more

HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW tap to comment
© 2017 TheNationalStudent.com is a website of BigChoice Group Limited | TheBigCampus, 44-46 Offley Road, London, SW9 0LS | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974