Nancy Pelosi’s ‘sarcastic clap’ becomes the State Of The Union’s biggest meme
Share This Article:
An image of Nancy Pelosi applauding Donald Trump with apparent sarcasm during the State Of The Union address has become a meme. Trump turned to Pelosi, Speaker of the Democrat-controlled House and one of the President’s biggest political rivals, after a section of the speech in which he talked about “co-operation, compromise and the common good”. Pelosi stood, extended her arms and clapped in what certainly appeared to be a sarcastic manner – a moment that was captured perfectly by photographer Doug Mills. The image struck a chord with news organisations and social media users alike. US website Slate described it as “the sarcastic point clapback heard around the world” while on Twitter Pelosi’s applause was widely labelled a “mood”.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- The Favourite’s Weisz and Colman back gay rights on Baftas red carpet
- Dave Assman told surname too rude for personalised number plate
- Cambridge University's Trinity College elects first woman Master
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH