Media Partners | Contributors | Advertise | Contact | Log in | Saturday 21 July 2018
182,939 SUBSCRIBERS

Morgan Freeman likened to 'creepy uncle' as he's accused of sexual assault by eight women

RATE THIS ARTICLE

Share This Article:

It has been alleged that Morgan Freeman was the perpetrator of inappropriate behaviour towards female colleagues and employees.

As last week CNN revealved how eight women have come forward accusing the eighty-year-old actor of sexual and verbal assault.

Women who worked with Freeman on the sets of films including 2015 comedy Going in Style and 2012 film Now You See Me, have alleged that they were subjected to harassment which involved inappropriate touching and frequent comments about their clothing or bodies. 

Previous employees of production company Revelations Entertainment, which was co-founded by Freeman, have also come forward with their own allegations. Claims of sexual harassment and assault within the company allege that Freeman was responsible for creating a “toxic environment” in the workplace. Speaking to CNN, a male employee claimed that Freeman behaved like a “creepy uncle” within the company, initiating awkward and inappropriate situations. 

These shocking allegations come in the wake of a number of sexual assault allegations made against numerous high profile Hollywood figures, including the most infamous Harvey Weinstein who was recently arrested on rape charges in New York.

The powerful Me Too movement - which gained momentum after allegations against Harvey Weinstein were made in October 2017 - has been empowering many survivors to come forward with their own expericences of sexual assualt and harassment. 

Freeman has however since denied the allegations, saying: “I did not assault women.”

In a statement made on Friday, the actor apologised for any offence or upset which he may have caused and asserted that any accusations made against him were false. 

He also lamented the damage which the allegations would cause to his reputation. “I am devastated that 80 years of my life is at risk of being undermined, in the blink of an eye, by Thursday’s media reports," he said.  

The actor claims that he will continue to apologise to anyone whom he may have made to feel uncomfortable or upset and reflected that “clearly I was not always coming across the way I intended”. 

The Screen Actors Guild, who awarded Freeman a lifetime achievement award in 2017 have said they are looking into the allegations, stating how they will be “reviewing what corrective actions may be warranted at this time” in order “to insure a safe work environment for the professionals in this industry”.  

read more



HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW tap to comment
© 2018 TheNationalStudent.com is a website of BigChoice Group Limited | 10-12 The Circle, Queen Elizabeth Street, London, SE1 2JE | registered in England No 6842641 VAT # 971692974