Trump is about to be sworn in as US president
Share This Article:
Controversial property magnate Donald Trump is set to be sworn in as the as the 45th president of the United States at a ceremony in Washington D.C. Since arriving in Washington yesterday, Mr Trump has already visited the graves of fallen soldiers at the Arlington National Cemetery, attended church with his wife and future First Lady Melania and had coffee with Barack and Michelle Obama at the White House. The day has also been one of protest, with many groups opposed to Trump's election as President holding demonstrations and rallies across Washington, including a large event organised by the Answer (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) coalition in Freedom Plaza. An Anti-Inauguration has also been organised by a number of prominent African American and Anti-Trump figures, while the #DisruptJ20 group will hold a Festival of Resistance March across Washington. At 4.30pm UK time, the formal swearing in ceremony began on the steps of the US Capitol, with musical performances and reading from religious leaders as well as an address by Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies Chair and Missouri Senator Roy Blunt.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- School climate strikes: why adults no longer have the right to object to their children taking radical action
- Norway students warned against enrolling at U.K. universities over Brexit concerns
- Raheem Sterling meets young Newport player who suffered racial abuse
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH