Spotlight: The International Day for Street Children
Share This Article:
Today is the International Day for Street Children, hosted by the international network Consortium for Street Children. Events are taking place all over the world, across 32 countries, to raise awareness of the issue. This is the second event of this kind to take place; the first was in 2011. The Consortium for Street Children is using this day to give a voice to millions of street children to speak out for their rights. The day is entitled ‘Challenging Perceptions’ and the charity aims to debunk common myths about street children that permeate society. The existence of street children is an international concern. Children are at risk and reliant on the streets to survive in developed countries as well as developing countries. Issues of poverty, family breakdown, abuse and violence lead to children running to the streets in many cities. From São Paolo to London and Bucharest to Phuket the situations that create street children are similar. Street children deserve love, an education and safety from abuse just like any other child.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Wayne Rooney will make a return for England against USA in a friendly later this month
- Reporting from the streets: The next generation lead Saturday's People's Vote March
- OPINION: Manchester United's epic comeback against Newcastle is exactly what their fans deserve
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH