Recipe: American Style Beetroot Pie
Share This Article:
It’s Labor Day for our friends across the pond – celebrate with this all-American dessert. Serves: 4 Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 45-50 minutes You’ll need: 250g shortcrust pastry 325g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained 3 eggs 75g soft brown sugar 2tsp ground mixed spice ½ tsp ground allspice (optional) ½ tsp ground ginger (optional) 250ml double cream What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200ËšC/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beetroot along with the eggs in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan add the sugar, all the spices and cream and bring slowly up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beetroot puree.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180ËšC/Gas Mark 4.
- Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the centre will still be a touch wobbly. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with crème fraiche.
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH