First Man review – an intimate account of an extraordinary story
Share This Article:
Verdict: Both a cinematic marvel and a sensitively delivered human story. First Man tells the story of Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) and the events leading up to him becoming the first man to walk on the moon on the Apollo 11 mission. It is a story we are all familiar with. The line “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” and the photo of the American flag planted on the moon’s soil have become ingrained in history and pop culture. Yet, what Chazelle does is give us a complex and human-oriented account of the story that has, surprisingly, not been told on screen before.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Personal Insight: Charlotte Hunt's favourite films
- The maths behind the Oscars: How do films get chosen, who votes, and why?
- Bachelor 38 review - an affirming look at life, love and bereavement
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH