Oscar nominated director barred from the USA after Trump's travel ban
Share This Article:
President Trump's recently announced travel ban has struck the Oscars. An Iranian director and writer has said he will not be attending February's Academy Awards ceremony, despite being nominated for best foreign language film. Asghar Farhadi, whose 2012 film A Separation won both a Golden Globe and Oscar, has said that even if an exception is made for him, he will not travel to America next month. Trump's recent ban means that Iranian nationals cannot travel to the USA, although recent clarifications have excluded green card holders and dual-nationals of a handful of countries. Farhadi, who lives in Iran, will be unable to travel to Los Angeles. The director, who is nominated for his film The Salesman, said that should an exception be made for him, “ifs and buts which are in no way acceptable to me”. His film follows a young couple whose personal life is disrupted after they move into a house that was previously inhabited by a prostitute. Lead actress Taraneh Alidoosti, who is Iranian but lives in America, has said she will also boycott the ceremony in protest of Trump's ban. The 89th annual Academy Awards take place on Sunday, 26th February.
You might also like...
People who read this also read...