In order to be successful, one must project an image of success: The veil of the American dream in American Beauty
Share This Article:
The narrative of American Beauty represents what is under the surface of the American dream. It strips away the falsities by delving deeper and heading behind the closed doors of those white-picket-fenced suburban American homes. For Kevin Spacey this role was one of his most important. At a point in his career where he felt slightly stagnant, when asked about the role of Lester Burnham on In the Actors Studio, Spacey said: ‘In a strange way Lester and I met at the right moment. I was ready for him.’
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Get to know the only 5 women who have ever been nominated for Best Director Oscar
- Chuchotage short film review: An attempt at a rom-com falls short
- Female Directors shut out of the 2019 Oscar nominations
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH