Underground artist Stephen Acosta sheds anonymity for new 'Woman' exhibition
Share This Article:
Underground artist Stephen Acosta has shed his anonymity for an exhibition titled ‘Woman’ at Shoreditch’s The Book Club, celebrating women of colour and feminism through the medium of oil painting. Acosta is dedicated to discussing the contentious issues of society, illustrating these injustices in his works. His upcoming show celebrates women of colour specifically, choosing to fight against the discrimination they face in society by giving them a positive platform. Acosta struggled to promote this message without his audience being able to put a face to the painter, however. “As an anonymous artist” Acosta claims, “I didn’t feel I had the right to make statements from behind a cloak of secrecy”.
A work from Stephen Acosta's new exhibition, 'Woman'. Image courtesy of The Book Club.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Theatre Review: A Hundred Words For Snow @ Trafalgar Studios
- We Made This: Turner Contemporary’s exhibition of art by offenders
- Tonight the World: Daria Martin explores her grandmother's dream diaries
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH