Screen to stage adaptations are ruining musical theatre
Share This Article:
This year's Tony award nominations were infiltrated with adaptations. The Best Musical category nominated Mean Girls, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical, The Band's Visit and Frozen, all originally created for the screen, and have somehow shimmied their way onto the stage. But, if this trend continues, it will ruin musical theatre. Casting our minds back to last year's Tony's, Dear Evan Hansen snatched up the majority of the awards, and the year before that Hamilton wiped the floor. They were worthy winners, but their success is a result of them both breaking the mold and stretching the limits and expectations of musical theatre - I'm not sure I can say that Frozen has done the same.
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Why A Doll's House is still an important feminist read
- Margaret Atwood at 79: the books you should be reading
- Theatre Review: Victoria's Knickers @ Soho Theatre
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH