Why Fanfiction Isn't All Bad
Share This Article:
Fanfiction and the people who write it have received a bad reputation over the years, as people who aren't creative enough to write their own work, who are stealing from others (they aren't, Fanfiction.net requires you to put a disclaimer in your work stating that the characters are not your own) and who essentially just want to write soft porn. As a former fanfiction writer, I take issue with this and today I'm going to talk about why fanfiction isn't all bad and, in fact, can be a good thing.
1. It helps improve your writing The key thing with writing is practice, practice, practice. Fanfiction gives writers who may not have the ideas for their own original work an outlet in which to practice their writing within a given framework - you already have the characters and world, all you have to do is write, and this for me was so helpful when I was younger. It also provides you with instant feedback for your work, as fanfic is a community of writers. 2. It adds diversity to existing canon
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Meet the Cambridge Impronauts, the UK student improv troupe touring Florida to raise $100,000 for charity
- Interview: Adam Meggido of Showstopper! The Improvised Muscial
- Princess of Wakanda to get her own Marvel comic
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH