Step into a new world: the top ten portal fantasies for Narnia fans
Share This Article:
Yesterday would have CS Lewis' 119th birthday, and since his most famous works (The Chronicles of Narnia) are some of the most well known portal fantasies in the world (books which involve a doorway into a magical realm), we thought that we'd share our favourite portal fantasies for you to read when you're done exploring the world of Narnia.
1. The Shades of Magic Trilogy-VE Schwab My personal favourite example of a portal fantasy, VE Schwab's creative and multilayered world contains various portals into different iterations of London, with varying degrees of magic. Beautifully written, with colourful and three dimensional characters, I would definitely recommend this fantasy to anyone who loves Harry Potter. 2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone-Laini Taylor For a creative twist on angel and Demon mythology, Laini Taylor's wonderful and whimsical sotry of Karou, a girl who travels through portals between wintry Prague and the mysterious Elsewhere in order to run errands collecting teeth for her guardian Brimstone is definitely worth a read. 3. Outlander-Diana Gabaldon Not so much fantasy as historical fiction with a fantastical twist, portals are a central feature of Jamie and Claire's epic love story, since it was a portal which brought Claire into Jamie's time in the first place. 4. Inkheart-Cornelia Funke The perfect story for bookworms -- I mean who hasn't at one point imagined being able to conjure their favourite book characters from the pages of a book? Well in this portal fantasy, that's their reality! Cool, no? 5. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland-Lewis Carroll
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- Meet the Cambridge Impronauts, the UK student improv troupe touring Florida to raise $100,000 for charity
- Princess of Wakanda to get her own Marvel comic
- Interview: Adam Meggido of Showstopper! The Improvised Muscial
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH