An art show looking at Soho's sexy past starts this January
Share This Article:
Shuby, a solo street artist, has brought her new exhibition ‘The Is The Spot!’ to the Lawrence Alkin Gallery. Shuby began her work in 2006 initially taking inspiration from the singer and dancer Josephine Baker, filmmaker Bubsy Berkeley and illustrator Martin Sharp. Her street art has been pasted everywhere from Belgium, to Sydney, London and Paris. Her debut solo show will begin this January, and she has taken inspiration from London’s Soho cinema clubs in the early days of the UK porn industry. Shuby says: “I love retro film imagery and Soho, so it was a pleasure and an opportunity to research the history of cinema clubs and the films relating to the area. "Having grown up by the seaside loving naughty post cards in the ‘Carry On’ era, sex comedy posters appeal to my sense of humour and cheeky side.”
- Article continues below...
- More stories you may like...
- The Greatest Emancipator: Reflections on Charles Darwin’s Birthday
- Interview: Karen Millie-James, author of Where in the Dark
- Forget romance. Here's why we need more badass single protagonists in fiction
You might also like...
People who read this also read...
CONTRIBUTOR OF THE MONTH